Show/Hide Right Push Menu   
Go to Content Area

Degree Students

Home / Admission / Degree Students
::: :::
Date 2014-11-17

Foreign students enrolling in degree programs at NCCU should apply for resident visas with the purpose of study through Taiwan Overseas Representative Offices in order to enter Taiwan  (Resident Visa: foreign nationals who intent to stay in Taiwan for more than 180 days should apply for resident visas).

Foreign students entering Taiwan with the visitor visa (purpose of study) have to apply for the resident visa (purpose of study) at Bureau of Consular Affairs before the visitor visa expires.

For detailed information of visa application, please contact Taiwan Overseas Representative Offices or Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Resident Visa Application

  • Required application documents

Original passport and the photocopy (the passport must be valid for at least 6 months and there are blank pages left in the passport)
Signed application form (fill out the application online at and print the form with the barcode on it)
Two color passport-size photos with a white background taken within 6 months
Original NCCU Acceptance Letter and Admission Notice and the photocopies.
The highest education diploma and transcripts which are verified by the Taiwan Overseas Representative Offices in the country of the original schools. If the original documents are not in Chinese or English, the Chinese or the English are required and the translated documents are required to be verified by Taiwan Overseas Representative Offices.
Proof of financial statement; documents from other countries must be authenticated by the Taiwan Overseas Representative Office.
Original health certificate and the photocopy (issued within 3 months). The health certificate should be issued by one of local hospitals designated by the Center for Disease Control of the Department of Health of the R.O.C. (Taiwan) or a foreign hospital. The health certificate issued by a foreign hospital must be either in English or Chinese and has to be verified by the Taiwan Overseas Representative Office. Visit the website of the Centers for Disease Control at health checkup items and the list of designated local hospitals.
Supporting documents such as the purpose of visiting Taiwan, parental consent, letter of guarantee by references in Taiwan, consent from the guardians in Taiwan or proof of no-criminal record may be required on a case-by-case basis. 

  • Notice
  1. Visa issuance is an act of sovereignty.  According to the “Statute Governing Issuance of R.O.C. Visas in Foreign Passport” and “Enforcement Rules for the Issuance of R.O.C. Visas to Foreign-Passport Holders,” the R.O.C. reserves the right not to issue a visa and is under no obligation to disclose the reason. Application fee for no-issuance cases is non-refundable.
  2. Processing of Resident Visa application inside the R.O.C. (Taiwan) takes 7 work days.  Resident Visa applicants are advised to apply to the Bureau of Consular Affairs 7 work days before the duration of stay expires.  Application will be turned down and fee not refunded in the event that required documents are not submitted in full within 7 days after the applicant is informed by the Bureau of Consular Affairs. 
  3. For visa application fees, please refer to “Standard Fees for R.O.C.(Taiwan) Visas in Foreign Passports”.
  4. Those who enter the R.O.C. (Taiwan) without a visa or with a landing visa and those who enter the R.O.C. (Taiwan) on a Visitor Visa not for the purpose of undertaking studies may not apply for a Resident Visa or an extension of duration of stay on the ground of undertaking studies.  Those not enrolled as full-time students may not apply for a Resident Visa on the ground of undertaking studies.
  5. Obtaining a school admission permit does not guarantee the issuance of a Resident Visa.  Obtaining a Resident Visa does not entitle the visa holder to enter the R.O.C. (Taiwan).

Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) 

Foreigners holding resident visa or changing to resident visa in Taiwan should go to the service center of National Immigration Agency in your local residence to apply for Alien Resident Certificates within 15 days counted from the next day of arrival or the next day of receiving resident visa in Taiwan. The late application will lead to the penalty fine of NT$2,000-10,000.

For detailed information of ARC application, please contact the service center of National Immigration Office in your local residence.

ARC Application

  • Required application documents
  1. Application form
  2. original passport as well as resident visa and the photocopies
  3. Enrollment Certificates, including 1. photocopy of the student card with the registration stamp, 2. enrollment record (you may apply for the enrollment certificates at Registration Office two working days after the registration fees are paid.)
  4. One color photo (4.5cm X 3.5cm) with a white background taken within 6 months
  5. Certificate of residence address (Off-campus: lease; On-campus dormitories: Certificate of Approval for Dormitory Residency, can be obtained at OIC)
  6. Application fees (1 year: NTD$1,000, 2 years: NTD$2,000, 3 years: NTD$3,000)
  • Notice
  1. ARC application processing time: 10 working days (ARC can be picked up with the application fee receipt)
  2. If you change your residence address or employer, you have to register the change with related documents at the service center of National Immigration Agency in your local residence within 15 days.
  3. If you will continue your enrollment at NCCU, you shall apply for an extension within 30 days before your period of residency expire
  4. Overstay      
  • Overstay within 30 days (30th day excluded) but still enrolled: pay the fine and the application fee for the ARC extension
  • Overstay more than 30 days (30th day included) and still enrolled: pay the fine and leave the country in 7 days to apply for a new visa to re-enter Taiwan
  • Overstay fine:

     1-10 days: NTD$2,000

     11-30 days: NTD$4,000

     31-60 days: NTD$6,000

     61-90 days: NTD$8,000

     over 91days: NTD$10,000

   5.If you plan to leave Taiwan during the enrollment period, please make sure before your departure that your ARC will still be valid when you return to Taiwan. If necessary, please renew your ARC at the service center of National Immigration Agency in your local residence.

   6.If you apply to leave the school (suspension, withdrawal, and graduation), your ARC with the purpose of study will become invalid after you complete the related school-leaving procedure. You shall return the ARC to the service center of National Immigration Agency in your local residence and leave Taiwan within the prescribed period. If you would like to return to NCCU after the suspension is over, you will need to re-apply a new visa to enter Taiwan.


back to top